For professional designers, a font with an
alternative figure 1 is available from Monotype
for tabular settings.
For certain applications such as presentations
use Arial instead of Gill Sans. For internet
applications use Verdana. Refer to the rules for
each onscreen application area. For information
on the typefaces in our product user interfaces,
• Range all text left
• Never center or range text right
• Always use standard letter and word spacing.
Professional designers may adjust individual
letter spacing in headlines manually to visually
balance the spacing
• Use type only in its standard form and do
not alter it in any way, such as condensing or
• Make sure the single and double quotation
marks from the original text are transferred
correctly when you copy it into another
• Do not use automatic hyphenation. Use manual
hyphenation only for long words in a body text
that cause a visually disturbing gap in a layout.
Never hyphen headlines.